April Fossen has appeared in Plan-B’s SHE WAS MY BROTHER, MESA VERDE, LADY MACBETH and SUFFRAGE. She has also appeared in eight SLAMs and the Script-In-Hand Series reading of 8. April has created roles in two plays by Eric Samuelsen for Plan-B: first MIASMA in 2006 and NOTHING PERSONAL, opening October 24.
Here we are at the end of the first week of rehearsals for NOTHING PERSONAL and I’m feeling a little lost. Like maybe I know less now than I did at the beginning of the week. So, I’m going to make a list of 10 things I DO know.
1. I know that I trust Eric’s writing. I know that if I let myself give in to the words and the character and the story, it will all be there as a safety net. Eric’s plays are nothing if not safe places for actors to get lost in.
2. I know that I trust the people I’m working with. I trust Jerry to be honest with me. I trust Kirt to be super creepy on stage and super not-creepy off stage. I trust Dee-Dee to make sure things don’t get too pinchy.
3. I know that I wouldn’t last a day in prison.
4. I know that I’ll learn my lines eventually (hopefully soon), but tonight it’s too many words so I’m doing this instead.
5. I know that the floor of the studio theatre is hard.
6. I know that I should probably add Ibuprofen to my Costco shopping list.
7. I know that I’m incredibly lucky to get the opportunity to work on this script and be part of the #SeasonOfEric. And I know that I better not squander it.
8. I know I’m exhausted. But I don’t know that I can really take a day off (see #4).
9. I know that Susan didn’t have sex with Bill.
10. I know that gravity is the force that holds us on this planet.
Eric Samuelsen’s NOTHING PERSONAL receives its world premiere at Plan-B Theatre Company October 24-November 3 with Kirt Bateman, Dee-Dee Darby-Duffin and April Fossen. Click here for more information and tickets.