Stay Up-To-Date on our Educational Offerings!
Playwriting Curriculum & Script Library
Click here to access:
- 14 scripts for grades K-12
- 7 with accompanying study guides
- All downloadable as PDFs
- All available for free, in-class use
- Some available for full production
- All by Utah playwrights
- K-6 playwriting curriculum with accompanying videos & lesson plans
We are honored to serve elementary students statewide as part of Professional Outreach Programs in the Schools (POPS), managed by the Utah State Board of Education and funded in part by the Utah State Legislature.
Diversity and inclusion are the basis for (not a component of) In the Classroom, through which we enhance arts education by providing instruction on the craft and process of playwriting.
Our residencies range from a single day to the full school year:
- Virtual due to Cover-19 (2019-2020), Spring 2020: we premiered four short radio plays created primarily for students in grades 6-12 May 5-8, 2020 on KUAA 99.9 FM under the umbrella RADIO SLAM (which you can stream on our free app, available here). Given the physical closure of schools, we see creating your own radio drama at home as an effective, innovative, isolation-friendly and boredom-fighting way to approach and explore any subject. Click here to download a “How To” Guide for students in grades 6-12 to create their own, original radio play at home! If you would like to create your own versions of our RADIO SLAM plays, please email Education Coordinator Sharah Meservy for copies of these scripts (or select RADIO HOUR scripts).
- Wallace Stegner Academy charter school (2018-2019, 2019-2020), Fall 2018: students received the same program we delivered at Mary W. Jackson Elementary in collaboration with Salty Cricket Composers Collective and Clever Octopus, but here it was extended to include grades 6-8. The program continued through Spring 2019 (minus Clever Octopus), resulting in student-written short plays that were then made into short films and shared with the school community. The program continues through the 2019-2020 school year for grades K-3 in collaboration with Salty Cricket Composers Collective and Rise Up Dance. (Length: School Year)
- Utah International Charter School (2018-2019, 2019-2020), Spring 2019: we performed two short plays from the Theatre Artists of Color Writing Workshop and discussed creating work as artists of color with four English classes, grades 11-12, that included students from Somalia, Burundi, Burma, Thailand, Nepal, Iraq, South Africa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania, Palestine, Dominican Republic, Eritrea, Egypt, Chad, Zimbabwe and Zambia. (Length: Single Day) Fall 2019: we guided four English classes, grades 11-12, through the process of developing and performing their own short horror plays. (Length: One Month)
- Granite School District: We presented the world premiere of THE POST OFFICE August 24-29, 2019, adapted from Rabindranath Tagore by Melissa Leilani Larson and performed and crewed by students from five high schools, in partnership with Gandhi Alliance for Peace, Granite School District and the United Nations Association of Utah, coinciding with the United Nations Civil Society Conference. (Length: Twelve Weeks)
- Oakridge Elementary in Granite School District (2018-2019), Spring 2019: as part of Spike 150, we guided a fourth grade class through writing, directing and performing “The Ten-Mile Day”, a short play about the Chinese workers’ contribution to the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad. (Length: Eight Weeks)
- Mary W. Jackson Elementary in Salt Lake City School District in collaboration with Salty Cricket Composers Collective and Clever Octopus (2017-2018), Spring 2018: We worked with all three first grade classes to create short plays celebrating the achievements of Mary W. Jackson. Performances were filmed and the videos were shared with the school community. Fall 2018: We taught basic acting skills to K-5 students. Then each grade level worked together to create short plays complete with costumes, props, scenery, sound effect and live music, which they performed for the school community. (Length: Semester)